I can't believe that it's that time of year already where I open up my Bluebell Shoot List. I usually open up my "interest" list a year before after I have done the current years BB shoots. Due to the huge amount of interest in these magical shoots and the shots we get, along with the fact I can only take on a limited amount due to the UK weather and the fact these beautiful little Bluey/purple flowers are only in bloom for around 3 weeks.
There is something magical about bluebells. With their sudden, mystical takeover of ancient woodlands the flowers have long been linked to the fairy-world. A quintessentially British sign of spring.
Heres a little bit about the wonderful Bluebells:
- Folklore tales would have us believe that by wearing a wreath made of bluebell flowers, the wearer would be compelled to speak only the truth. Or that if you could turn one of the flowers inside out without tearing it, you would eventually win the one you love :-)
- In the Bronze Age, people used bluebell glue to attach feathers to their arrows.
- The Victorians used starch from crushed bluebells to stiffen the ruffs of their collars and sleeves.
- Nearly 50% of the world’s bluebells can be found in the UK.
- The bluebell is being studied for its medicinal qualities because it contains things called water-soluble alkaloids that could be useful in developing drugs to fight cancer.
- Legend also says that a field of bluebells is intricately women with fairy enchantments.
If you are interested in having your very own Bluebell Shoot with me do get in contact asap. I do have a handful of confirmed bookings for this year May, but weather and bloom depending, I often take on more at the time if I can, or you can go on next years list. Please email me at email@example.com for more details.
Until next time.
X Sophie x